Brief introduction of the rotary evaporator The rotary evaporator is one of the commonly used instruments in the laboratory, which is mainly composed of motors, distillation bottles, heating pots, condensers, and other components. It is mainly used for distillation, concentration, drying, recovery, etc. during synthesis, analysis, etc.
The rotary evaporator uses electronic control to make the evaporation flask rotate at a constant speed at a suitable speed to increase the evaporation area; Via the vacuum pump to make the evaporation flask under negative pressure; The evaporation flask is placed in a heating pot while rotating, and the solution in the bottle under negative pressure and heating diffuses and evaporates during rotation.
It is used very frequently in chemical laboratories, with the advantages of easy maintenance, stable performance, reliability, high sensitivity, etc. The scope of application covers chemical companies, pharmaceutical companies, universities, and research institutes.
Next, Hawach introduces the steps of using the rotary evaporator and the precautions for common configuration.
Steps for using a rotary evaporator 1. Prepare a white latex tube(the inner diameter and length based on requirement). In addition, prepare two latex tubes for vacuuming and one copper tee for standby; one circulating water vacuum pump. The water tank of the vacuum pump must be filled with water, and add water to submerge the head of the vacuum pump.
2. First, we connect the prepared latex tubes to the two ends of the tee, and then connect them; Find the suction port of the circulating water vacuum pump, connect the two ends of the tee connected to the latex tube, and connect the pumping I and pumping II respectively.
3. Prepare two hoses(the inner diameter and length based on requirement), and four snap rings; find the water inlet and outlet of the condenser of the rotary evaporator. First, connect the hose to the outlet of the low-temperature coolant first, and connect the other end of the hose to the inlet of the rotary evaporator.
To identify the water inlet: carefully observe the serpentine tube in the glass condenser, look to both sides, and find the port that communicates with the outside. Usually below is the inlet, above is the outlet. Use another hose to connect the water outlet of the rotary evaporator, and the other end of the hose is connected to the water inlet of the low-temperature cooling circulation pump (the inlet and outlet are usually marked).
Open the filling port cover of the low-temperature coolant circulation pump, clean the cold well tank, and add the cooling liquid to the cooling tank according to the ratio of 1:1:1. Note that after pressing the power button and then pressing the cooling button, the cycle will be started after the desired temperature is lowered.
4. Install the rotating bottle and fix it with a clip. If there is a splash-proof connector, connect it first. When installing the rotating bottle, pay attention to use vacuum silicone grease to coat the interface. After the vacuum reaches a certain value, open the vacuum pump, and start rotating.
5. Adjust the height and rotation speed of the distillation flask, and set the appropriate heating temperature of the water bath.
6. Stop the rotation after steaming, vent the atmosphere, then stop the water pump, and finally remove the distillation flask.
7. Stop the low-temperature coolant circulation pump, stop the water bath heating, turn off the water circulation pump, pour out the solvent in the receiving bottle, wash the buffer ball, and receiving a bottle.
Notes for the common configuration of the rotary evaporator 1. Heating water bath kettle: The general heating medium is water. If there is a special need for temperature, you can replace it with silicone oil or high-temperature silicone oil. Although it will be equipped with a lid on the water bath, the frequency of use is not high during use; It can prevent dust from entering the water bath or oil bath and keep it clean.
2. Condenser: The general cooling medium is water. If the ambient temperature is high and the condensation effect is not good, it can be replaced with an ethanol bath, and the device is equipped with a circulating refrigerator. Press the cooled ethanol into the condenser for cooling treatment. In extremely cold weather, the water in the condenser needs to be drained overnight to prevent the water from solidifying, and the volume expansion and cracking of the condenser.
3. Decompression equipment: Usually, it is a water pump. For some high-boiling solvents, the water pump can be replaced with an oil pump. Pay attention to the requirements of the equipment when replacing.
Hawach is specialized in producing many various quality lab devices and its rotary evaporators with different models are able to meet your specific experimental requirement. Welcome to visit Hawachsci.com to learn more parameters.